CMS Document 5933-v1
1st Trial at "Mini-Masterclasses" based on CMS data analysis - for high school students
- The IPPOG International Masterclasses is a mature educational program that takes place in February/March every year in numerous countries around the world. High school students come to a nearby institute for a day to have a couple of lectures, a tour around the department/facility and a hands-on data analysis exercise (computer-based), finishing with a discussion of the results via video conference.
The feasibility of "mini-masterclasses" was trialled on 21st/22nd February at two high schools in the UK. The idea is for a physicist to visit a school and, in ~3 hours, give an introduction to CERN/HEP/CMS etc. followed by a quick hands-on data analysis.
The documents here outline what was done, what seemed to work, what didn't, what could be improved etc.
The eventual aim is to develop a multi-lingual "package" for CMS collaborators around the world to exploit in local high schools.
- Files in Document:
- De-briefing of event at 1st school (HarropFolds.docx, 130.4 kB)
- De-briefing of event at 1st school (HarropFolds.pdf, 153.7 kB)
- De-briefing of event at 2nd school (Stainburn.docx, 121.3 kB)
- De-briefing of event at 2nd school (Stainburn.pdf, 175.9 kB)
- Introductory talk used at both schools (CollidingHelicopters_EN_190212.pptx, 40.1 MB)